The day before Thanksgiving we headed to the grocery store to pick up some things we forgot to pick up because we had been in D.C. What a madhouse!! The grocery store here is always packed and things are always running out of stock, but this day it was seriously crazy. They were all out of cans of pumpkin and there were only a few cans of apple & cherry pie filling left. Luckily, everything else was in stock and we had gotten our turkey weeks before. While we were in line, a sassy black lady in front of us was checking out & decided she didn't want a turkey so she just set it on the ground. I was concerned that it would thaw out & go bad (don't we have enough starving people that it's ridiculous for a turkey to go bad b/c someone was careless & lazy?!?!?) so I told the lady (nicely) that leaving the turkey there would just cause it to go bad. She told me that "it wasn't her problem" and that if I was so concerned that I should go put it back!! Oh the nerve of this lady! So Aubrey picked it up and when it was our turn she handed it to the cashier and said very loudly, "This lady just left this turkey on the ground and it needs to be put back." The sassy lady was standing there bagging her groceries and started mouthing off about us to her teenage daughter who was with her. She made sure we could hear. The cashier swore under her breath, shut down the lane temporarily, and stomped off with the turkey and another one that someone else had left. She came back and apologized & explained that she heard what the sassy lady said to us but she had to bite her tongue or else she'd just explode. Then we both agreed that karma will come back around and Ms. Sassy Pants will get what she deserves. Oh the adventures in the Bronx...
Anyways, we decided to go all out and make my mom's traditional Thanksgiving dinner. We invited people from the ward over, including the missionaries. Wednesday evening we started making food- I made pies and we did some stuffing & salad prep (laid the bread for the stuffing out to dry, chopped veggies, mixed dry ingredients, etc.) and I also scheduled out food for the next day. We decided to split the dinner making between me, Tyron & Aubrey. Thursday morning I started with butterhorn rolls around 7am. Tyron prepped the turkey and I made stuffing & stuffed the turkey. Tyron was awesome & made the candied yams, mashed potatoes, and gravy. Aubrey made the strawberry jello salad & green bean casserole and opened a can of cranberry jelly. Everything turned out AMAZING! I must admit that it was doable only because 3 of us were making food. I have no idea how my mom did it by herself year after year... so much admiration & respect for my momma!
Here's some fun pics of the day (sorry, we didn't get any of the food- I didn't think about it until after all the food was gone!):
| The gals on Turkey Day! Mom sent Auralia a cute turkey bib!! |
And to finish, I'd like to share with you the "Thanksgiving" song that was stuck in my head that day. It's sung to the Air Supply song that goes "I'm all outta love, I'm so lost without you...":
Will Ferrell: It's Thanksgiving time! It's such a great day now! Turkey and bread and plenty of stuffing!
Chris Kattan: It's Thanksgiving time! It's time for Jell-O! Watch some T.V. maybe have some grape Kool-Aid!
Chris Kattan: Oooooh! I think I dig your stuff!
Will Ferrell: I think I dig your stuff!
Will Ferrell: Well it's Thanksgiving time! I love your new blazer! Your sleeves are pushed up it looks pretty awesome!
Chris Kattan: Well thank you my friend! Your so kind to say so! Your eyes are so blue, I think that I like them!
Will Ferrell: Well it's Thanksgiving time! Let's go get a burger! Maybe some fries! Let's go take a car ride!
Chris Kattan: Go to a motel! Drink a gallon of brandy! Hang out in robes and see what develops!
No comments:
Post a Comment